- 400 different detergent (non-ionic, ionic, Zwitterionic)
- Critical micelle concentration (CMC) concentration (0.3-10x CMC typically used)
- Ionic strength of the solution (100-200 mM NaCl typically used)
- Purity (α-isomer content)
- Micelle size and shape
- Compatibility with purification techniques
- Removal techniques (dialysis, ion-exchange, size-exclusion chromatography)
- Mixed detergents eg Cholesterol & CHS / exchanging detergents
What are the best detergents for membrane protein solubilisation?
- 60% of structures are solved with non-ionic detergents: DDM, DM, NG, OG, LDAO
- DDM remains the defacto detergent of choice for many membrane protein extractions.